Monday 15 March 2021

Quantum Leadership, The Origins (Part 2)

I was burning to test the 3 fresh leadership models on someone, but most people looked at me as if I was nuts. No one was prepared to put their profits on the line for my crazy experiment, but I don't really blame them.

So, I went fishing. 

 It's amazing how the brain finds answers when not looking for them. While fishing I decided to pick and start an obscure task, project or business in which I could experiment. In that way, I could test the leadership models, from scratch, without risking existing businesses or relationships. 

Then, the genius really struck! Hahaha 

Fishing! My obscure task was ... fishing. In fact, the goal was to catch 100 fish in 100 days ... in winter ... even though I had only been fishing a handful of times in my life ... even though I could count the fish I've caught on one hand. 

The plan was to use the 3 models in a way that maximized my chances of reaching the goal. No relations or businesses would be adversely affected, except maybe my sanity and maybe the fish population (although it was a catch, photo and release adventure). 

I carefully followed the models, plotting the next steps with the help of Ben van Wetten, who patiently listened to my blah blah, as I sounded out the principles and processes needed. 

Angela James helped me do an internal check, making sure the 'behind-the-sceen' philosophies were sound. 

Two weeks later, I launched the 100 day fishing challenge. At first I kept my plan secret. Only a buddy that went fishing with me from time to time knew what I was actually doing. 

Each time this friend joined me, he asked where I was in the process, what principles I had used and what I had hoped to achieve. He then went home and applied the fishing challenge principles to his own business, with varying degrees of success, but success nonetheless. 

As it turns out, I caught 100 fish in the first 50 days. I continued the challenge, ending with 202 fish caught between 1 June and 8 September 2019. The models worked. 

I only started making the fishing challenge public once I had achieved the results, and continued to share progress as I doubled my target. 

By the end of the challenge, I understood the models, could explain them simply,and could apply them to the fishing challenge, with spectacular results. 

Only one question remained unanswered, could the results of the fishing challenge be duplicated elsewhere? 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The importance of using values to make decisions

Making decisions can be tough. From small decisions, such as what to have for breakfast, to life-changing decisions, like which career path ...